Friday, July 12, 2013

Hand in Hand with Members

I don´t have too much to talk about this week, so I think I´ll do a list of 5.
5 things that are different about Nicaragua (besides all of it):
1. The brightly colored houses
2: buses-- they´re crazy!
3: the first thing I hear in the morning is someone yelling out what they´re selling
4: they eat a big breakfast and lunch and hardly eat dinner
5: all the houses continue or touch another house

Nicaragua Capital Building





(I might have mentioned some of these things, I don´t remember)

This week, President Collado met our zone and introduced us to his family. He´s really nice. We made banners that said we are the hands of Christ and put all of our handprints on the banner. It is based of the statue of Christ without hands, we are his hands.

Also this week we had a RS activity met a really awesome lady and her kids that are super excited about the church, had a great asistencia (number of people in the church), Arenoldo received the Priesthood.  Belen had a firm date for her baptism and wedding and then she didn´t come to church. Another awesome thing the elders started is FHEs in members home a lot. The family commits to bringing a family or friends or less actives or recent converts, and we try to do the same. We pass around a calender and families in the ward sign up for different days (not exclusively on Mondays). This week we´re also starting to go out with all the visiting teachers to do their visits with them and visit others (nonmembers, less actives, friends, neighbors). We´re are also trying to do lots of splits with the YW in the ward. Really with the Elders in our ward we´ve talked about doing all these things, but the elders really took the lead in getting it started especially this past week. It´s hard to find a balance though-- we have to have so many contacts and visits and families teaching. I really would like working with the members to be hand in hand and helping us reach are goals, but sometimes I feel like it´s working on opposite planes. Especially because we focus in families and we´re not always visiting complete families when we go with the members. My comp is really traditional in the spirit of the mission too, and we´re trying to change it a little bit. She´s willing to work different too, and we´re trying to find the balance together. She´s really awesome though, and we are a great team for reals. (I hope so anyway, when people can understand my spanish (= ). As I´m reading this it sounds like we´re doing everything and having tons of success. That´s how my ideas sound to me too, there are a lot of problems though and lots of things that fall through. (I know I said I didn´t have a lot to talk about, bet I surprised even myself)

A lot of you commented on my spanish because I mentioned about it last week. Just so you know I still sound like a baby, it´s just slowly getting better. (= The cool thing about the mission is that you don´t need perfect Spanish to do God´s will.

John 15. solid.

                                                                      
Hermana Heather Merrill

P.S. Did you bring a cardboard of me on the camping trip? Love you all (= 

 ( Heather obviously still has her quick wit!  For those that are a bit lost by this PS ...my brother and his bride had a life size cardboard cutout of the bride's brother that was not able to be at their reception reception due to being on a mission.  And yes, we went camping this past week and Heather was missed and we should have thought to bring a cardboard of her on our trip!)

No comments:

Post a Comment